Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Eels are close - maybe they will get some here this year

The annual Eel harvest is similar to the annual smelt harvesting in the Kuskokwim area: both happen within a few days once a year, both have the people buzzing with each other over where they are and when to expect them, but that is where it ends. Smelts are small fish, eels or lamphreys are well....eels. Smelts come in the spring right when the ice leaves the river and eels come in the fall after the first ice floats down the river. Smelts are on the Kuskokwim and eels travel up the Yukon.

There are many ways to cook eels. Some people bake them, some make eel soup. I have never quite gotten my mouth and stomach used of the taste of eels.

1 comment:

skipvia said...

I'm not sure I can even get my mind used to eating eels--never mind my mouth and stomach. :-)