Thursday, September 13, 2007

Correction on Panraven story link and a word of caution when reading articles

First here is my corrected link to Panraven:
http://www.panraven.com/mylife/ViewStory.epage?sp=102707

I would like to caution those that read articles of places or people they are unfamiliar with to see who the author of the article is and have an idea of the level of "marketability" the author is aiming for.
For example there was an Article that Skip references to in his comment on my first blog of today that has a few major misrepresentations that I would like to address: 1. The picture on the top of the set of three pictures is not anywhere near our village or region. 2. Russian Mission has regular scheduled flights by a number of airlines daily into the village - we are not accessible only by charter. 3. Our land is very similar to Fairbanks in the summer - we do not have a lime green carpet of moss and lichen on our land. 4. The Yukon River is not clear blue- it is a big river with a lot of sediment, so it is actually brown. 5. Youth suicide in Russian Mission is not yet a problem in our village. To date we have had two suicides by adults. God willing that will be the only ones. 6. Our village has more than one road.

As in any other research, looking at a variety of sources is necessary to get the gist of what is written. The author was not from Alaska, and the focus of the article was to embellish the projects to get more funding for the grant used.

2 comments:

skipvia said...

Thank you on two counts--one for providing the correct link to your excellent Panraven story and one for pointing out the inaccuracies in the article about Russian Mission. I thought the picture at the top of the article looked suspiciously like the Yukon Territories in Canada, but I was so captivated by the story that I didn't think much of it. I hope the part of the article about the subsistence program was accurate, though. That was quite a story.

This reinforces what we all talked about this summer and why I am so insistent that we learn to use some of the new media to tell the stories about where we live. If we're not telling the stories, who is? And, if someone else is telling the stories, can we be sure they are true?

Your perspective is very valuable on this matter, Nastasia, and I appreciate you pointing this out to me. Keep writing--your own stories are very compelling.

Thersea D. Gibson said...

Your Panraven story is just beautiful. Pictures of fishcamp(?) made me homesick. I am trying to come up with interesting things to say about Fairbanks but I'm jealous of the beautiful pictures you all are sharing with us. Miss you!