Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 90th Birthday Ap'a Peter "Papasneak" Nick

My grandfather celebrated his 90th birthday on July 4, 2008. We were in Bethel for a check up at the hospital and missed our plane ride home on the 3rd but have a lot of family here. I spent the day with my son, my grandpa and my brother Herman cooking while the others checked out the parade and activities in Pinkys Park. Its been a long but greatly appreciated day. I was going to post a picture of us but I can't get it uploaded on this old computer. There were two things my Ap'a prayed for as a child who lost his mother to the big flu along with others (which he still remembers): he prayed for a long life and to have a big family - not to be alone all his life. His prayers have been answered!! He has 3 children, 15 grandchildren, over 20 great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter!!!! We have been blessed to have him with us all these years - he is a great role model and we cannot express our gratitude to grow up so closely with him at our side.

3 comments:

blogger said...

Greetings! I do tech support for a friend who is always on the lookout to celebrate nonagenarians. If you get a picture of your granpa, would you mind if there is a link to your post here (you did a good summary) or may I re-post it? http://theelderlies.wordpress.com/category/nonagenarian/

I am interested in his knowledge about the 1919 flu pandemic for Grassroots Science (http://ykalaska.wordpress.com) If you are interested in doing some oral history, let me know because it sure would be useful to everyone else.
http://ykalaska.wordpress.com/category/history/

Pam

Rural Teacher said...

Hi there :D Yes I would be interested in this - I have a lot of pictures of my grandfather and I do not mind if there is a link or if you repost it whatever your preference. It is a very important time in our history and he remembers a lot of his past - great stories...

Let me know -Nastasia

blogger said...

My direct email is ykalaska at gmail dotcom