Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Two times in as many days of being called old is so wrong!

Yesterday a small group of my family and I took advantage of the break of the rain and wind and went down river for a day of looking for wild rhubarbs and the annual spring picnic. My daughters were still abed as I was getting ready. During my third round to their bedrooms asking them if they were getting out of bed and joining us my daughter asked who was included in "us." I named my older sister Olga, younger sister Anita and her husband, Nicholas and whichever kids they are bringing along. That was when Maxine gripped "I am not going if there are only you old people." Ohh I was so annoyed! The nerve of her calling me old! I quickly gave her daughter back to her and said, "you better stay up, I am leaving now - OLD PEOPLE - humph!" She ended up reaching the boat just before me due to most of the workers not showing up until after two... I had a blast climbing the cliffs and enjoying the view and company of my family.

This afternoon the family reminded each other of Olga's upcoming birthday. My sister Anita asked how old she is and made a face when I said 41, asking if that meant that my parents will celebrate their 42nd or 40th anniversary this year. I shook my head at her and stated 42nd. Later my girls were making comments like "only 9 more years and she will be half a century." I am two years younger than she is and I was shaking my head. Of course I could not blame them for doing something I did at 18. I distinctly remember thinking my aunt as such a wise elder of 28 during my first year of college. As I grew I would reflect on that thinking, "this does not feel as old as i thought it was - I still feel more like a teenager than an adult." Oh well - such is life. Here is to all us "young fellas" who still kinda have a kid inside somewhere. I am so not THAT old!!! LOL

1 comment:

skipvia said...

You have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up!