Thursday, June 4, 2009

These days are nothing like the old days...or was I just not paying attention?

One thing I distinctly remember mumbling to myself as I got lectured was that I would not tell my kids "You have it so easy, why are you griping?!" The city has no funds for a VPSO/VPO and the kids are staying up later and later here. Also, there are a few people with vehicles who have no qualms about joyriding round and round the town way into the early morning hours, like tonight...or this morning however you want to see 2:20 AM. I gave up on sleeping because between the dog howling that sounds more like some person wailing in drunkenness or extreme despair than an animal, the loud ATV and motorbike and the occasional vague impression of some one's conversations outside I cannot relax. During these times I wonder how the village's internal clock got so hay wired that people think 2 AM is a great time to take a ride through the town. I admit as a teenager I occasionally stayed out late walking the few roads we have but we would never be so disrespectful of our elders or others to be loud enough to disturb their slumber. I find myself shaking my head because I now know how my parents and grandparents felt as they scolded me about staying out late, something I never thought would happen. I think I need a break from the village...a nice boat ride to get some wild rhubarbs should do it, weather permitting. Oh how I miss our fish camp downriver! The peace and quiet. (Darn, I sound more and more like my parents)

2 comments:

skipvia said...

When is your book coming out, Nastasia? I'll be the first in line to buy it.

Seriously--you should consider writing a book about life between the old and news ways. You're in a unique position to observe it and your talent as a writer is profound.

Rural Teacher said...

I am seriously thinking about doing this but where would I look to get it published? lol I think I would enjoy writing one, or two ... especially since I find myself in front of the computer anyways after the kids fall asleep.