Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy belated 91st Birthday to Apa "Papasneak" Peter Nick

My eyes mist every time I see my grandfather "Ap'a Papasneak" Peter Nick pray thankfully before he blows out his birthday candles. This year he got discharged from the hospital after an episode of irregular heart beat and "A-Fib." His health in the past year has been a bit stable but about every month we are reminded that his condition will gradually decline. We are blessed to have him as long as we had...this year the great-grandchildren kept vigil at this bedside for a while as I finished cutting the chums and red salmon caught for drying at my parents fishcamp. The nurse asked during my session "where are his little grandchildren?" I replied smiling, "They are his great-grandchildren - I am one of his grandchildren." Her surprise was the normal response I am getting used to. Peter says his long life is due to his faith and active lifestyle and native foods.

No comments: