Saturday, April 12, 2008

life in the temp dorms

On April 10th a group of Ed students from rural Alaska were brought in to Fairbanks for an intensive class required for our degree. I must admit first that by the time the day was over I felt as though I was pushed through a ringer. Having no alarm clock is an experience I was not expecting, neither was the fact that we are herded together for breakfast and supper where someone goes to the register and says "I am paying for these guys here." You can imagine our feelings as someone who is much younger than most of us tries desperately not to show her embarrassment in this. I was a bit insulted at first, but I am telling myself that I will make the most of this opportunity. It is sad though when after all their reports to get the money they do to help us, using our numbers that we still get treated sometimes like we can't do for ourselves at the most unexpected places. All the more reason to get into those classrooms! One thing that sustains me and keeps my mouth from going and going is something my grandmother told me: "When someone hurts your feelings, leave them alone. God said 'it is not unto you that they do this but unto me.' If you do nothing then God will handle it and it will go back to them three-fold."

No comments: