Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Granddaughter's Baptism


A complication of contemporary names and baptism is matching names. My grandchild's name is Jordan Skyler - Jordan is listed in the baptismal names as a masculine saint's name. Skyler is not listed at all. This was the Priest's first baptism and to end the confusion he asked us to pick a feminine name to christian Jordan. We ended up choosing Elizabeth to honor her paternal great-grandmother. Elizabeth is also the baptismal name for my daughter Maxine Elizabeth, her mother. She was born on my aunt's 30th anniversary so we asked her to be the Godmother. This issue of names matching the birth record and sex of the saint whose name is a long and ongoing argument. I am glad I am in no position to make official opinions on the subject!

No comments: