Monday, August 11, 2008

The Heat is ON!! but I wonder if there will be blueberries?

Oh what a wonderful Sunday afternoon I had! The sun was out and it was actually warm and I spent the afternoon with my grandmother, my aunts and their families and my son out enjoying nature. The river was calm, the geese were flying in flocks, the bugs were not many... mmm ... what a blessing! The only sad part was that again there was no blueberries. The second area close to home and the tundra was so dry. I brought my baby with me - he was so HEAVY :D. But I found a way to carry him on my back using my kuspuk, taking cue from those old pictures of native women carrying their babies on their backs. My cousin and I were trying to figure things out and Nicholas was laughing as though he was getting a kick at our expense. When I finally got him where I was semi-certain he would not be dropping out behind me I tried to bend down to see how he would take it and he giggled in my ear every time. Missy took pictures I hope I get to post here. An afternoon to treasure also in that we got to take my grandmother out to her allotment adjacent to her departed sister's allotment where they had spent many happy years picking berries. She hardly gets to go out anymore like she used to. We had a picnic supper at the beach watching flocks of geese fly above the river, feeling the warmth - warmth of the sun for once since the three days in June we had a hot afternoon.... I can return to the windowless store tomorrow with a renewed spirit and a sunburnt nose.

No comments: