Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oh how I wish you could have seen those raspberries!

mm-MM! I have not seen such a sight since childhood! Ruby red raspberries glistening between green grass with the evening sunshine beaming between the trees. How I wished for a camera! They were perfectly ripe and some were so big the branches were drooping from the weight of the fruit. My aunt, sister and I needed a break from our various duties within the village but my sister was the health aide on call so she was not allowed to stray from the village. One of the drawbacks of being a health aide. I have been substituting as the manager of the corporation store as my aunt takes some of her annual leave. I used to be the manager of the store some years back but the hours are long, duties are numerous and the pay is cheap. I work more to ease my aunt's burden (she is now the manager of the store) than to get the $10.00 per hour wages. Shucks, I have digressed from the topic of those beautifully delicious berries. My bad. With my daughter's wedding only a week away I have been juggling my finances, time, energy, focus and sanity to the point that the moments of tranquility in nature is much too precious not to enjoy to the fullest. The only bugging part of the evening was the bugs. If someone could invent a way to go picking berries without getting picked on by bugs until one wants to rub repellant constantly all over oneself that person would be a millionaire in Rural Alaska. The gnats and no-see-ums were worst around the juiciest and biggest berries. Three times my aunt said "I have had enough" before we actually came out of the woods and back onto the beach.

No comments: