Thursday, May 14, 2009

I just had to share this with you guys

When Nicholas and I were heading to Anchorage the roads were not repaired from the runoff of the spring thawing of the snow so we had to find our own way down to the airstrip instead of the agent picking us up with his truck. I asked my sister-in-law Beck and as we were riding down she asked if I had a cell phone. I don't, so she offered hers and I accepted. Trouble was I was unfamiliar with the type she had and could not find her number. I called my girls and informed them that I had their auntie Beck's phone, but they had to call her for the number and did not expect a phone call from anyone. The next afternoon I received a call but pressed the wrong button in my haste to answer the phone and missed the call. I was tired and did not recognize the number on the received calls so I called the number to notify them that if they were calling for Becky she was at home. I did not recognize the person on the other line, and was not expecting anyone to call me yet so my explanation was kinda rushed into their ear rather abruptly practically as soon as they said, "hello." There was silence for a couple seconds then that someone asked, "are you a single lady?" I was shocked and alarmed, because I did not know who this man was and blurted, "NO!" and hung up the phone. The phone rang again, I did not answer.

I was still not familiar with the phone's dynamics but I was able to answer other calls and replied to two text messages after Nicholas and I returned to the Quyana quarters. In total I got five different people calling to reassure me that the mystery man was my younger brother Steven, along with two different people texting me the same information. When I treated him like a stranger when he answered cell (sort of newly acquired-and yes, I did recognize it when I finally got settled safely in my room,) he decided to see if I would recognize his voice, which obviously I did not. I got so much mixed emotions from relief to only God knows what else. There was no one else besides Nicholas there but I felt so embarrassed! I had a good laugh over it later, after I quit being jumil. I still waved my fists at him playfully when I seen him and said, "You were lucky to have been way over here when I found out." This story definitely will be told for years to come. By golly when I finally get me another cell phone his number will be the first one I identify on my contact list! :D

2 comments:

skipvia said...

You have got to write a book someday, Nastasia. I'll be the first in line to buy it. :-)

Rural Teacher said...

Thanks Skip. I just might - I kinda like sharing funny stories with others even if I was the "butt of the joke" - this one was had me shaking my head for days!